My son is 8 and had to get his very first fillings. 2 on each side of his upper jaw. The employees are friendly. I had to wait twice on the front desk to be assisted there. I was running a bit late and she was talking to other employees about something work related in the back room. I feel that great customer service is to take care of your clients who are waiting on you first and then finish talking to anyone else. I have gone here for years and have always been happy with the service, so I am hoping that this is a one time occurence.
I was nervous about my son getting injected with local anesthetic. I requested the anestheic that wears off faster so that he wouldnt have to deal with numbness for so long and to avoid speeding up his heart rate with the longer lasting drug with epinephrine. I do not know if this is normal or not but my sons cheeks became flushed and swollen after 3 injections in both cheeks. (I have never experienced that) He also began acting a bit loopy and complaining that he was very very tired and his eyes were itchy and watering. I stayed with him the entire time making sure he wasnt having an allergic reaction of some kind or if he was having a toxic reaction. The employees leave the room to give time for the injections to get to work. I felt uneasy about it. I wouldve liked for there to be more monitering of my son after he recieved the local anethesia. I shouldve asked more questions about what exactly he would be given and how much. And if emergency supplies/plan was ready to be implemented if needed. I didnt want to say to much in front of my son to scare him since this was his first procedure. His upper cheeks were very puffy and flushed. I couldve used some reassurance that this was normal or notified if it was in fact a reaction. He seemed to have trouble focusing his eyes as well, and kept rubbing them. Otherwise, he did great and the fillings are fine. The assistant was thorough with polishing and making sure the bite was right. I trust in Kennerly's quality work.
The only real issue was poor communication and monitering when it came to anesthitizing my 8yr old son.